Hotel denies providing accommodation for recreation and hosting social events – Manila Bulletin
City Garden Grand Hotel, the Makati City accommodation facility where a Philippine Airlines flight attendant is believed to have died on January 1, has denied accusations he provided accommodation for leisure purposes and organized social events although it is a quarantine facility.
The hotel also claimed that they “have complied and will continue to comply with all health and safety regulations” for the conduct of their business “, following a previously issued show cause order. by the Ministry of Tourism (DokT) for the establishment to explain possible violations related to its accreditation in connection with the controversial death of Christine Angelica Dacera.
In a four-page response to the DoT’s show cause order dated Jan. 6, Richard Reazon, responsible general manager (OIC) of the City Garden Grand Hotel, denied accusations of providing accommodation for the purposes of leisure and entertainment. organization of social events. although it is a quarantine center.
“Based on our initial investigation, Ms. Dacera and her supposed companions booked three rooms, namely 2207, 2209 and 2009. The reservations were confirmed and accepted, because based on the information provided to the hotel, they were all qualified as authorized guests. because the term is defined in the relevant DoT guidelines, ”Reazon said in his response letter.
He also stated that at the time the reservations were made and accepted, “there was no clear indication that these guests knew each other, or made reservations with the intention of having a party at the premises of the hotel, “citing that reservations were made separately. and under different names, and at different times.
“When checking in, they had said at all times that only one person would use the room,” he added.
He said the three guests were also accepted as guests of the hotel’s corporate account, with respect to “businesses located in the immediate vicinity of the hotel or businesses otherwise authorized to book accommodation.” .
Reazon pointed out that the guests were given lodging and lodging “not for leisure or stay purposes, but as authorized guests, reservations were made under corporate accounts whose businesses were located in Makati. City “.
“Therefore, we respectfully submit that the hotel does not violate DoT AO 2020-02C or DoT AO 2020-006C,” he said, regarding the guidelines governing the department for the operations of establishments of accommodation and hotels under community quarantine and for stay purposes under general community quarantine.
Reazon also denied accusations that they would allow social events to be held on hotel premises, as it was a blatant violation of the DoT and the national government’s COVID-19 task force guidelines.
He said the Firefly Roofdeck, located on the 32nd floor, is the only restaurant open in the building.
He pointed out that the restaurant did not also open dinner service on December 31, the same day the Dacera group’s social gathering was held on New Year’s Eve.
“No other hotel facilities are open, again to discourage the use of the property as a means of stay,” he said.
Regarding the Dacera case in question, Reazon said that based on his own investigation, “the supposed groups of nine to 10 people (including the victim” were dispersed in three different rooms and the circumstances surrounding the participation of each person at the rally are still ongoing). determined.”
Reazon added, “None of the guest visitors were reported to our front desk manager at any time of the day. These visitors could only have accessed guest floors with the assistance of registered guests, in violation of hotel policies prohibiting such gatherings.
He stated that “according to the examination of the CCTV footage, no obvious back and forth was seen in any of the 3 rooms which would have aroused the suspicion of our CCTV clerk, as their presence in the public spaces was brief “.
“No noise or other activity observable from the outside was detected throughout the evening,” he added.
“It was not until the next day (January 1 around 12NN) when we received a health and safety incident that we learned that more than one person may have occupied the rooms in question,” he said. .
The general manager claimed that they had “complied with all regulations on hotel operations during the GCQ”, but the unfortunate incident prompted them to review their procedures “to see if there are any areas that could be improved ”.
He assured that the hotel “is doing everything possible” to facilitate the investigation of the Philippine National Police (PNP).
The DoT received the hotel’s response on Friday, January 8.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said the ministry would publish its decision whether or not to revoke the hotel’s permit this week.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE DAILY NEWSLETTER
CLICK HERE TO JOIN